Jungle Tales VBS
As “creation missionaries,” it is our privilege to minister to all ages in churches during the summer conducting Family VBS, camps, or revival meetings that focus on our Creator. Thank you for considering this work! Ecclesiastes 12:1 states: “Remember now thy Creator in the days of thy youth…” When young people are taught evolution as a “fact of science” from a number of sources throughout childhood, it becomes increasingly difficult as they grow older to counteract seeds of doubt in God’s Word that have been sown when they were young. Add to this an overwhelming lack in churches today to address questions that science has raised, and we have a recipe for young people casting off the faith they were taught by their parents and other leaders. With this in mind, we greatly cherish the opportunity to assist churches in re-building lost trust in God and His Word, beginning with young people.
*both SS and Junior church can be conducted by "Mrs. Heather" so that "Mr. Jeff" is available to teach a combined teen – adult Sunday school and preach in the morning service.
6 pm - suggested church-wide fellowship with ~30 min devoted to the children)
- Distribute handbooks & Sing a song or two
- Share a promo creation presentation
- Conduct a quick review game & give out team & best listener awards
- Have refreshments or a meal
Saturday VBS workers meeting (~ 45 min.) before or after the fellowship
Sunday (during regular service times)
Sunday School – can serve as first VBS class
Jr. Church – can serve as first VBS “Rally Time”
Monday - Wednesday (6:00 - 8:30 pm)
Thursday pm (6:30 – 8:00 pm, food fellowship afterwards for Parents/Awards Night)
6:00 Registration (begins as children arrive)
6:15 Opening/offering contest/story time (Mrs. Heather)
6:40 Class time (church helpers)
- Teach memory verse for the day
- Ask story review questions, provided by CFM
7:10 Rally Time
Creation Family Ministries assists churches in ministering to all ages. However, due to the type of information we share in the Rally Time presentations, much of it is “over the heads” of most preschoolers. For this reason, we ask churches which have a prominent preschool group of about 5 or more to prepare a separate special time just for them especially during Rally Time. We suggest putting together a schedule that involves memory work (one or two verses from the handbook), video time (we have some suggestions for this), coloring time (coloring sheets may be downloaded from http://answersingenesis.org/kids), song time (preferably songs from the JungleTales handbook; preparing to sing one or two for Parents Night), lesson time and snack time. In addition, while “Mr. Jeff” speaks to older ones in Rally Time, “Mrs. Heather” can visit the preschoolers for a special time with them. Depending on the size of your group, they are more than welcome to join the older ones during Opening Time and Story Time. We usually ask that you plan about 1 hour for their own special time.
The philosophy of Creation Family Ministries concerning VBS:
- VBS is a “revival week” for children to encourage and strengthen their faith.
(We encourage churches to consider a “Family VBS” in which we minister to teens and adults during an extended class time for them.)
- VBS is an important week of evangelism for children.
- VBS is an important break for church workers who often are already over-worked. We do most of the preparation and make class time short.
- “Fun with purpose.” Fun things we do with the children (e.g. songs, competition, games) create a good memory of church. While not everything in life is “fun,” it is important to leave a lasting impression in the child’s mind of a good time at church. The “fun stuff” encourages them to come back.
- We use God’s Word and His works (creation) together to strengthen the faith of those who are already saved and to invite those who do not yet know Christ as Savior to come to Him. A stronger faith equals a stronger witness and greater desire to live for Christ.
- Large screen or blank wall (Rally Time area) for computer/projector
- 1-2 adult helpers per VBS class (can be a mature teen assistant)
- Tables for books/DVDs: two 6’ tables or one 8’ table + a 6’ table (better)
- Artifact/display tables (1 or 2 6’ tables)
The Setzers come with many decorative and/or promotional items (floor-standing banners, 4 x 10 banners, yard signs, display items / artifacts, backdrop artwork, etc). Since we prepare decoration for the main session area (i.e. church platform), we encourage churches to take care of decorating other areas that will be used (e.g. class rooms, refreshment area). Our jungle theme focuses on jungles, snakes, big cats, gators, monkeys, and living dinosaurs, so anything "jungle-oriented" will only add to the excitement the children get when they come to the meeting. Perhaps someone in the church can coordinate refreshments each day with a jungle “flavor” using the creature featured that particular day (see session titles). A good resource is the Pinterest social media site.
In order to be as little of a burden to churches as possible, the Setzers live full time in an RV which serves as both home and office. For the unit to operate properly with two AC units, we need 50 amp electrical service (a 4-prong electrical outlet designed for RVs). We have found that a 30 amp electrical outlet is sufficient in milder climates or when temps are cooler. There also needs to be an available water connection. A sewer connection is very helpful, but not necessary unless there are city restrictions on grey waste water (i.e. sink/shower water) being let out onto the ground. Parking our RV-home at the church is optimum since we bring many things to set up for the week (e.g. decoration, resource material, display material).
- Session 1 - "Sticking Your Neck Out" \ "Jungle Out There" (Overview; giraffe)
- Session 2 - "God's Gators"
- Session 3 - "Consider the King" (big cats)
- Session 5 - "Monkey Business" (monkeys)
- Session 4 - "Lifting Up The Serpent" (snakes)
- Session 6 - "Living Dinosaurs"
The Setzers come on a love offering basis as missionaries in the field of creation science and apologetics. In order to help us prepare for the summer, given all of the expenses involved, we request a pre-summer donation which helps to defray the cost of materials such as:
5-6 Creature Cards Flyers Banners Tee shirts Yard signs Handbooks Medallions Buttons Promo Cards Awards
In order to help defray costs, we carry with us smaller offering scales (with cans) that we use to receive a penny offering during the opening of VBS each evening. The money that comes in is solely up to the church as to how it is used, whether to send to another missionary or mission project, or to be used to help offset the expenses for the week. As missionaries ourselves, we ask that churches prayerfully consider adding Creation Family Ministries or SET Foundation Ministries to their mission budget.
This year, we are asking $300-500 (depending on your budget). If your budget doesn’t allow for the minimum, whatever you can send ahead will help in providing for the summer! Please send a check made out to “CFM” to:
Creation Family Ministries
PO Box 11196
Hickory, NC 28603
Questions? E-Mail us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you for allowing us to serve with you in a special meeting designed to reach people with foundational truth!